During the spring academic semester, the University celebrated the installation of several new endowed faculty positions. These events showcased faculty excellence across the University and also highlighted the vital importance of endowed positions, which are critical for attracting, retaining, and supporting the critical work of top faculty. Click on the links below to view photo galleries from the events.
- Michael and Diane Jones Professorship: On February 24, Michael ’76 and Diane Jones welcomed and celebrated the work of Toni M. Whited, the first Michael and Diane Jones Professor of Business Administration in the Simon School. Whited, a scholar of finance, macroeconomics, and econometrics, was honored in an installation ceremony held in Schlegel Hall. View photos.
- Janice M. and Joseph T. Willett Professorship: In a ceremony on March 12, Professor Ronald M. Schmidt was installed as the first Janice M. and Joseph T. Willett Professor of Business Administration for Teaching and Service in the Simon School. The event, which celebrated Professor Schmidt’s outstanding contributions to the University and his academic fields, was held at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City. View photos.
- Brian J. Thompson Professorship: Jannick P. Rolland, professor of optics and biomedical engineering at the University of Rochester, was installed as the first Brian J. Thompson Professor of Optical Engineering in a ceremony held on April 22 in the Robert B. Goergen Hall for Biomedical Engineering and Optics. Rolland is also the associate director of the recently completed Robert E. Hopkins Center for Optical Design and Engineering. John H. Bruning, former CEO of Corning Tropel Corp., endowed the Thompson Professorship and also helped fund the Hopkins Center. View photos.
- Arthur R. Miller Professorship: In a ceremony on May 4, Thomas Slaughter was installed as the first Arthur R. Miller Professor of History in the College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering. The event highlighted Professor Slaughter’s prominent contributions to the field of history and was held in Rush Rhees Library. View photos.
- Dr. Laurie Sands Distinguished Professorship: On May 7, in the Class of 1962 Auditorium in the Medical Center, Susan H. McDaniel was installed as the first Dr. Laurie Sands Distinguished Professor of Families and Health in the University of Rochester Medical Center. The event highlighted Dr. McDaniel’s service as director of the Institute for the Family in the Department of Psychiatry and associate chair of the Department of Family Medicine. View photos.